Proactive Mental Health for My Pregnancy
Pregnancy can be a trying time for your body as well as your mental health. The constantly fluctuating hormone levels, the physical strain, and the upcoming challenges of motherhood can greatly affect your mood.
This is why it’s imperative for moms-to-be to take care of their mental health just as much as their physical health. Stress and low moods can cause a number of health problems for both the mother and the baby and are best avoided through constant care.
Why Do You Need Proactive Mental Health Care During Pregnancy?
We know how the saying goes: healthy mind, healthy body. To have a healthy and uneventful pregnancy, it’s important to prioritize all aspects of self-care, including mental health.
Although pregnancy is associated with mood swings, if you constantly feel unrested and anxious, you should speak with your healthcare provider.
Here are some signs to look out for:
- Feelings of guilt
- Depressed mood
- Feeling worthless
- Feeling constantly overwhelmed
- Lack of interest in routine activities
- Lack of interest in social interaction
- Crying often
- Increased appetite or lack thereof
- Disturbed sleep
Some of the effects are:
- An increased risk of postpartum depression
- Baby’s inadequate growth, due to lack of nurturing environment
- An increased risk of preterm labor and low birth weight
- Greater likelihood to use substances that can affect your baby’s growth
- Struggling to form an ideal mother-child bond once the baby arrives
How Does It Work?
At Charleston Birth Place, we aim to cover all aspects of care for a mother and her child. Through The Exchange at Charleston, we offer holistic care before, during, and after pregnancy. Our friends at Charleston Integrative Counseling will cover two important aspects of emotional strengthening during your pregnancy;
- Mental health counseling
- Nutritional coaching
During the counseling sessions with Jessie, our qualified counselor, you will:
- Learn to deal with your emotions in a healthy way
- Understand your thoughts and emotions better
- Learn to cope with stress and anxiety in a constructive manner
- And most important of all, you’ll be able to talk about what you’re going through in a supportive environment.
During these sessions, you’ll have a set of goals to accomplish and some weekly homework to improve your mental health. You’ll also learn the role of nutrition in keeping a healthy state of mind.
At Charleston Birth Place, it is our aim to make sure you and your baby stay healthy and happy! And we’ll be eager to provide you with any assistance you require to make that happen. For any other queries and questions, feel free to contact us.